Friday, June 27, 2014

Swipe and Wipe

I've now spent about a week on Tinder and boy have I seen a lot. For about every 75-100 guys I see, I swipe right on maybe 1-2 of them. Geez. This definitely feels more like playing a game on my phone than online dating. This is probably why I like it.

Some of my friends know that I joined so we've been talking about it more. We were talking about how it actually seems that there might be nice guys on there that are looking for actual relationships like a regular dating website. They see Tinder as a means of not having to put any effort into a profile and still have some good options. When they go on sites like OKCupid or Match, they have to fill out time consuming surveys and profiles, but on Tinder, its just a sentence or two and a couple pics. Easy-peasy. And once again, you can't contact anyone or be contacted anyone if it wasn't a mutual swipe right between the two of you.

So after going strong for a week, here a few more of my Tinder observations...

1) You can swipe almost anywhere. At home. On the bus. At work. In line at the store. And my personal favorite location, while on the toilet. As one of my best friends pointed out, I swipe and wipe. Hilarious. Yet oh-so-true. Dating is so much easier when you can do it on the pot.

2) I've seen people I know on there. Like people I know in real life. Quite a few actually. I always get a little weirded out when that happens, but that's life. Is it odd to swipe right on them? Cause if we don't match, they clearly didn't swipe right on me? But if swipe left, no one will be the wiser. And for the record, if I happen to run into this person in real life again, it will never be mentioned that we know the other one has a profile on there.

Additionally, I have seen friends in pictures of people I don't know. Like hey, there's so-and-so with this cute guy. Why haven't they introduced me to him before? Rude. Cue a screenshot and a text with a "How do you know this person?" Totally normal behavior.  

3) As with online dating, I hate having a text convo go too long without anyone initiating finally meeting in person. Text convos can be so deceiving sometimes because someone can be a "good texter" but a complete dud in person. I don't like that charade going on more than three days. I want to know if I am wasting my time so let's just meet for a drink and see what the deal is in person.

4) I came across not one, but TWO profile that had dick pics. Ew. Gross. Ick. Disgusting. What the fuck? Who does that? And I also came across a boner-in-boxers picture too. What the hell is wrong with people? And seriously, are there girls that actually would swipe right on this trashy nastiness?

5) And finally, because I can't say this enough, get with the program with your profile picture. When it's pretty much the one and only thing someone is judging you on, make sure its a good one. Don't have a cartoon, a drawing, a fat lady yelling, a giant open wound on your neck, and a group of like five dudes. (I've seen these all and then some!) And for the love of God, please stop with a selfie profile pic. I can't handle it. It's an automatic left swipe. Always. You mean to tell me you have no good pictures of yourself that someone else took? C'mon dude. I can't.

So sure, I haven't met Mr. Right yet but this process is mildly entertaining and isn't totally demoralizing like other dating websites. If I swipe right on someone and don't get a match right away I'm okay with it because I just keep going and pretty much forget. ADD dating at its finest. So there it is, one week on Tinder and I still haven't deleted it. Baby steps for me being open minded this summer and keeping at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment